
I.
Changed Sight
I was a teenager, and I had lost my glasses at a high school assembly. My boyfriend/ love interest and I went back to the gymnasium to find my glasses, but we had to sneak in because there was another assembly going on or because we were skipping school.
Once we got through the doors we crawled on the floor underneath chairs and peoples' legs. My boy toy found the glasses, but they were broken. The ear piece was flattened out and it looked like a piece of plastic paper. He held the glasses in his fist and we ran out of the gym.
When we got to the parking lot we were laughing hysterically. I put my glasses on my face and they were really crooked.
II.
The Dinosaur Head
Sarah G. and I were walking along a cobblestone street in another country. I couldn't figure out if we were in Korea or England, but I didn't want to ask her. It was snowing and we went to the city center. We browsed around an outdoor mall, and an Asian girl approached us; she asked us for directions. Sarah spoke quickly and I couldn't understand what they were saying to one another.
As the girl walked away I noticed that her spine went all the way up to her forehead. Her hairline was receding because of the spine. I was ashamed and sick to my stomach over the girl's condition. She looked like a strange dinosaur. When I asked Sarah what she thought she shrugged her shoulders as if she didn't notice the deformity.
I decided that I wanted to go sled riding and we started to look for a sled. We walked into a squatter house where English teenage boys lived. We went into the kitchen and stood near a shelf full of canned food. We hung around there for a while and listened to the boys arguing.
We never found a sled.
III.
Snow Ride
I was sitting in a gazebo with Amy U. We were traveling somewhere; the gazebo was like a train. It spun slowly on circular tracks. We were sitting next to a woman who had an electric guitar-- she was dressed like an 80's rocker. She started to play and Amy got annoyed by the noise and asked me if we could move seats. I agreed with her and we moved towards the back of the gazebo carriage.
We were planning for a writing lesson that Amy needed to teach for an art center. I told her about Kim Addonizio's book, "Ordinary Genius." She said, "But I just don't know what I'd specialize in." And I told her that she should teach a class on how use creative writing in blogging. She said okay and asked me what books to use.
It started to snow outside and I got really excited. "Oh, I just love the first snow," I told Amy and she smiled at me. The gazebo had stopped on the tracks at this point. I said, "Let's go out in it."
We walked down a ramp from the gazebo into the snow and caught snowflakes on our tongues. I felt an unbelievable amount of happiness-- the good feeling filled me up.

No comments:
Post a Comment