A chronicle of dreams coupled with a picture from waking life.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Staying and Leaving



There was a cabin behind The Gate House-- it was renovated for long-term guests. I remember thinking, "Oh, it used to be so crappy." The house was made to look like a smaller version of the guest house. I went inside with my sister; we were on a break from a class. When we walked in there was a guy sleeping on the couch. The rooms were large with brightly painted walls, some of the paint was unfinished-- the laundry room was red, but I could see white streaks underneath it. I thought that the workers weren't through renovating. And the furniture inside was a juxtaposition of bedroom, living room, and kitchen furniture. There were beds in the living room and kitchen and a dining table in the bedroom.


My cousin, Mike, was sitting at the kitchen table with his head in his hands. I asked him what was wrong, but he wouldn't answer me. My other cousin, Emily, walked through the kitchen and into the laundry room. Suddenly I knew that everyone in the family was staying there.


My sister, Christine, and I were going to be late for class. The class was being taught by our fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Shultz. I told Christine that I was worried that Mrs. Shultz would be mad at us because we were gone for so long. Christine said, "Well how many times did you go get a cup of coffee today?"


"Twice." I answered.


"If she was mad you would know," said Christine.


Instead of going back to the classroom we walked to a mall to buy coffee.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Washington DC Metro Area, MD, United States
Teresa Petro is poetry editor for www.shadysidereview.com. She received her MFA from Chatham University where she studied poetry, publishing, and travel writing. Teresa's poetry is published with The Coal Hill Review, Weave Magazine, Spooky Boyfriend, Anderbo, and The Little Patuxent Review, among others. She's a recipient of The Laurie Mansell Reich Poetry Award. Teresa can be reached at poetryeditor@shadysidereview.com or teresapetro@gmail.com.