A chronicle of dreams coupled with a picture from waking life.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Swimming to the inside of my foot



I was a competition swimmer. I'd just nearly finished swimming 55 miles in the Atlantic Ocean, there was one mile left. Just as I was swimming that last mile, the waves started to move like jello or water in a water bed. I didn't have to practice any strokes, instead I just floated along. A crowd was cheering for my team. I could hear my friends in the background, "look at Teresa's abs." At the leg end, the ocean turned into a swimming pool. I touched my feet off of the edge of the pool, and emerged from the water.


My teammates and I hugged and congratulated one another. We went back into the water to swim a cool down lap.


Once the competition was finished I went to my parents' house. They lived in a house on the ocean. My mother and I were arguing, she didn't want me to be a swimmer. "Why can't you do something that doesn't make me worry?" She asked, "Why can't you be a competitive knitter?"


"Oh, Mom. You just can't understand." I walked away as she was still talking to me. I couldn't stay still, my body was filled with restlessness. I paced the floors, I thought about swimming.


My Aunt Merribeth was in house, she had two babies. She was playing with them behind a partition. I stood at the front of the partition and asked her if I could hold one of the babies, but she wouldn't let me. The other baby looked at me and said, "my Mommy's dress is green. It's pretty." I looked at the dress, it was lime green and looked like a towel. I didn't answer. I was disappointed that I wasn't "allowed" to hold the baby.


I walked away, and stepped on a round piece of glass. It was sharp, but not painful. I sat on the floor and pulled the glass out with my fingers. When it came out there was a spot of blood. I found a tissue and blotted the blood. Then I looked at the cut: I could see inside of my foot-- the veins, the tendons, and up into my leg. I thought that it needed to be cleaned up even though I was fascinated by the inside of my body.


I wanted my aunt to look at my foot, but she said that cooking was more important. The whole family was gathered for dinner. I walked around the house, hobbling on my foot, afraid of things getting into the cut: carpet, coins, whatever was littering the floor.


I sat at the dinner table next to my aunt, and pulled my foot up, "but look, I think it needs stitches or a patch or something, can't you do that?" She shook her head.


I awoke.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Washington DC Metro Area, MD, United States
Teresa Petro is poetry editor for www.shadysidereview.com. She received her MFA from Chatham University where she studied poetry, publishing, and travel writing. Teresa's poetry is published with The Coal Hill Review, Weave Magazine, Spooky Boyfriend, Anderbo, and The Little Patuxent Review, among others. She's a recipient of The Laurie Mansell Reich Poetry Award. Teresa can be reached at poetryeditor@shadysidereview.com or teresapetro@gmail.com.