A chronicle of dreams coupled with a picture from waking life.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Homecoming Again


Kristin and I were shopping for homecoming dresses. We were in a vintage store in the fitting room. We had piles of dresses in each stall. I tried on a dress that was from the 80's; it was green with black lacey frill at the bottom; the body of the dress had an intricate checker print. I loved the dress, but I couldn't get the zipper up.


"Do we really want to go to the dance anyway?" I asked Kristin.

"Where else will we wear these dresses? And besides we will look the best," was her answer.


She was wearing a long pink dress that looked like it was from the Victorian Era. She looked beautiful, her hair was piled on top of her head.


"Yeah, you're right," I said.


I yanked the zipper hard and it ripped the dress.


"Shit." Kristin didn't seem to notice, but then she told me to find a better dress, to hang that one back up. I walked out of the stall in my stockings and underwear, and ran my fingers over the dresses that were hanging on the return rack. I sighed a long sigh.


I awoke.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Washington DC Metro Area, MD, United States
Teresa Petro is poetry editor for www.shadysidereview.com. She received her MFA from Chatham University where she studied poetry, publishing, and travel writing. Teresa's poetry is published with The Coal Hill Review, Weave Magazine, Spooky Boyfriend, Anderbo, and The Little Patuxent Review, among others. She's a recipient of The Laurie Mansell Reich Poetry Award. Teresa can be reached at poetryeditor@shadysidereview.com or teresapetro@gmail.com.