A chronicle of dreams coupled with a picture from waking life.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Unsuccessful Dinner


My extended family was visiting at my parents' house, and I was preparing dinner for them. I made ravioli in a vodka based tomato sauce; the bowl was dripping with oil, but I felt satisfied.

The dinner was meant to be held in the basement, and my sister was helping me take the food and plates downstairs. I carried a stack of plates that was too high, and three fell off of the stack; the plates were chipped on the corners and I didn't want to use them. I was worried that people would get cut.

It felt as if we walked up and down the stairs a million times, and I started to panic about the food getting cold, but my sister put it on a hot plate, and told me not to worry. We had drinks to think about. I grabbed two half-empty bottles of soda from the fridge (a Coca Cola and a Sprite) when my Auntie MB came in the kitchen and said, "No just water." And Christine started to fill up a Brita water container.

I kept fumbling with the plates and dropping them, but at some point I made it down to the basement with the proper amount of dinnerware. In the basement, my Uncle Morgan was sitting at the table with a cleaned plate. I was surprised that he'd already eaten. When he stood up there was a spaghetti noodle soaked in sauce in front of his plate. I picked it up and said, "Oh, you."



No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Washington DC Metro Area, MD, United States
Teresa Petro is poetry editor for www.shadysidereview.com. She received her MFA from Chatham University where she studied poetry, publishing, and travel writing. Teresa's poetry is published with The Coal Hill Review, Weave Magazine, Spooky Boyfriend, Anderbo, and The Little Patuxent Review, among others. She's a recipient of The Laurie Mansell Reich Poetry Award. Teresa can be reached at poetryeditor@shadysidereview.com or teresapetro@gmail.com.