A chronicle of dreams coupled with a picture from waking life.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Shoreline


I was in a paddle boat with my friend, Melissa's stepfather, Danny. His two children were in another boat. We were paddling quickly, and having a good time. The other boat tipped over, and I knew that our boat was next.


Danny was already out of the boat, but I would have to walk to shore. The water was clear. I looked down and saw that the entire bottom of the lake was littered with herione syringes. I was terrified of walking to the shore; I was afraid of contacting aids. I was afraid of stepping on the syringes, but there weren't needles in them any longer. I walked on my tiptoes.


Danny urged me to the shore, he told me that everything would be fine. I knew something was going to happen, I could feel it in my sinking stomach.


I stepped on a syringe, and it penetrated my foot. Danny swam to where I was and pulled me to the shore. We sat on the bank, and he pulled the plastic from my foot-- I screamed. I knew that he wouldn't be able to dislodge the syringe. I cried and cried.
(When I woke my sock was wrapped around my foot in the same place the syringe was stuck.)

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Washington DC Metro Area, MD, United States
Teresa Petro is poetry editor for www.shadysidereview.com. She received her MFA from Chatham University where she studied poetry, publishing, and travel writing. Teresa's poetry is published with The Coal Hill Review, Weave Magazine, Spooky Boyfriend, Anderbo, and The Little Patuxent Review, among others. She's a recipient of The Laurie Mansell Reich Poetry Award. Teresa can be reached at poetryeditor@shadysidereview.com or teresapetro@gmail.com.