A chronicle of dreams coupled with a picture from waking life.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

On Going Home



I was in a diner with my baby on my hip, we walked past a half eaten plate of french fries. I stopped, looked around, and put one in my mouth, first dipping it in cold ketchup. My baby boy giggled. We left the diner, and got on a yellow school bus. I knew a few people, but I was mostly talking to my child. He looked at me and said, "Momma, I had to poo poo." I told him that it was okay, that he's a baby, and that we'd clean it up when we got home. He seemed to understand everything that I was saying.


We got off the bus, and went into someone else's house, (a guy who I don't really talk to from one of my classes at Chatham), Josh, lived there. He was doing dishes. I sat on an old sofa, and wrapped a blanket around my baby. It seemed like Josh was doing the dishes for a long time, I looked over at the sink, and there were bubbles flowing over the counter. He turned and smiled at me.


Josh told me that he had a late wedding gift for us. I told him that he didn't have to. He went in the bedroom and got a box. I followed him into the bedroom, and layed a blanket on the floor, I sat down. He told me to open it; I opened the present and inside was a toaster oven. He smiled proudly at the gift. I thanked him.


We decided that it was time to leave, another man, who seemed to be his roommate walked out with the three of us. It had started to rain. I had an umbrella with my baby and I under it. Josh and his roommate each had an umbrella. We stood on the porch watching the rain. I had a sinking feeling that it was going to take a long time to get home.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Washington DC Metro Area, MD, United States
Teresa Petro is poetry editor for www.shadysidereview.com. She received her MFA from Chatham University where she studied poetry, publishing, and travel writing. Teresa's poetry is published with The Coal Hill Review, Weave Magazine, Spooky Boyfriend, Anderbo, and The Little Patuxent Review, among others. She's a recipient of The Laurie Mansell Reich Poetry Award. Teresa can be reached at poetryeditor@shadysidereview.com or teresapetro@gmail.com.