A chronicle of dreams coupled with a picture from waking life.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

On Finding and Losing Parts of the Body





I was in a tattoo studio sitting in large green pleather chair. The tattoo artist was preparing to do my work. I told him that I wanted my index finger traced: a tattoo of my finger on my finger, done in black and grey. He started the work, and I stared straight at the needle. "Stop. This looks stupid." He looked at me with bright eyes, "Gee thanks." I began to look at him closer, he was a large man, with a baseball cap on, jean overalls; he had a goatee.


"I'm sorry," I said, "It's not you. It was a stupid idea. Can you make something different?" He did, but as he was tattooing he somehow turned into a large woman. There was a little bit of blood running down my hand, but I didn't feel very much. The woman finished.


I stood up, and looked at my tattoo: a series of flowers done in Henna style, but in bright florescent colors: pink, green, and yellow (shades of highlighters). The flowers and swirls ran up my finger, onto my hand, and around a new place on my arm: between the wrist bone and the elbow I had a bridge, something like an addition to my arm, there was muscle under skin. The tattoo covered this new place. I looked at it a little bit surprised, and thought to myself, "I didn't know that was there. How could I fail to notice this?"


Suddenly the tattoo lady wanted to take a picture of me with my friend. It was the first time that I noticed I had a friend with me. (I think it was Ryan, who I met in waking life in Newcastle, England.) We stood in a doorway and posed, but what happened to our bodies was strange, we were bending and sliding down the doorway as she took the photograph.


I sat back down in the tattoo chair, and felt my teeth shifting. I suddenly realized that I was wearing braces on my teeth. Then one of my front bottom teeth fell out. I said, "I knew I should have gotten that dental insurance. Can someone call a dentist?"


I awoke.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Washington DC Metro Area, MD, United States
Teresa Petro is poetry editor for www.shadysidereview.com. She received her MFA from Chatham University where she studied poetry, publishing, and travel writing. Teresa's poetry is published with The Coal Hill Review, Weave Magazine, Spooky Boyfriend, Anderbo, and The Little Patuxent Review, among others. She's a recipient of The Laurie Mansell Reich Poetry Award. Teresa can be reached at poetryeditor@shadysidereview.com or teresapetro@gmail.com.