A chronicle of dreams coupled with a picture from waking life.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Left Out


My sister was getting married. She didn't ask me to be in the wedding and I was offended. All of her bridesmaids had yellow dresses. I asked her why she didn't ask me and she said, "It's the money. I was worried that you didn't have any money."


At the last minute she invited me to be in the wedding, but only because I went to the local grocery store and spread rumors that she was a bad sister.


I attempted to pick out a dress that matched the other bridesmaid dresses. I stood in my parents' garage looking through a rack of thrift store dresses, some vintage, some plain ugly. I took a few dresses off of their hangers and threw them on the garage floor.


As people arrived for the wedding, I stood in the garage making a stink. I decided that it wasn't worth it, and I felt horribly disappointed.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Washington DC Metro Area, MD, United States
Teresa Petro is poetry editor for www.shadysidereview.com. She received her MFA from Chatham University where she studied poetry, publishing, and travel writing. Teresa's poetry is published with The Coal Hill Review, Weave Magazine, Spooky Boyfriend, Anderbo, and The Little Patuxent Review, among others. She's a recipient of The Laurie Mansell Reich Poetry Award. Teresa can be reached at poetryeditor@shadysidereview.com or teresapetro@gmail.com.